Mirabel Rita Sobina Monteiro Pai (née Pais-Prabhu)
Date of Birth 22/05/1950
Designation: Medical Superintendent
Srinivas Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre,
Mukka, Mangalore, Karnataka State.
Contact details (Off) 0824-2474882
Fax No.(Off) 0824-2474888
Email ID firstname.lastname@example.org
Residence Address: ‘Lanka’ Jarandaya Devasthana Marg, Urwa, Mangalore – 575006, Karnataka State, INDIA.
Educational Qualification :
M.D. Pharmacology, 1982, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
M.B.B.S. 1975, University of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
B.Sc. 1970, University of Mysore, Karnataka State, India.
|July 2014 onwards
||Professor of Pharmacology, Srinivas Institute of Medical, Sciences & Research Centre, Mukka,
|November 2010- June 2014
||Professor and Head, Department of Pharmacology,
Srinivas, Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre , Mukka,
|June 2010 – November 2010
||Professor of Pharmacology, KVG Medical College, Sullia, Karnataka State.
|April 2004 – May 2010
||Chairperson (Professor and Head) – Department of Pharmacology,
Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal University.
|May 1998 – May 2003
||Chairperson (Professor and Head) – Department of Pharmacology,
Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal University.
|Sept 1991 to May 1998
||Professor of Pharmacology, Professor- Kasturba, Medical College,
Mangalore, Manipal University
|1988 – Sept 1991
||Associate Professor- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore.
|1987 – 1988
||Assistant Professor –
1. Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore.
2. B.R. Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore.
||Tutor and Lecturer –
1. Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore.
2. Tata Medical Centre, Bombay (Mumbai).
3. All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
|1979 – 1982
||Passed the M.D. Degree from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
Submitted my thesis entitled ‘Clinical Pharmacology and the Immunological study of Cytotoxic Drugs particularly in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia’.
Details of courses taught and length of teaching experience:-
Undergraduate : MBBS; BDS; BPT – 33 years
Postgraduate : M.Sc (Pharmacology); MD (Pharmacology) – 27 years
- Felicitation by IMA- Mangalore branch on Doctor’s Day celebration July 2014.
- Certificate from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore for contribution to publication in the year 2009.
- Certificate from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore for contribution to publication in the year 2007
- International Fellowship in Medical Education, 2003-2004 by ECFMG, worked as fellow at Tulane Medical University, New Orleans, USA. Awarded certificate with distinction.
- Garwin Gold Medal in Operative Surgery, 1975 by Colombo Medical Faculty Sri Lanka.
2. Presentation of Papers:* As first author-
- ‘Health camps in rural / semiurban dakshina kannada district, karnataka’. Socorrina Colaco, Prathibha Kumari V ,M.R.S.M. Pai, Department of Pharmacology, Srinivas Institute of Medical Science & Research Centre at Southern Reginal conference of IPS on September 8th and 9th 2011 at Chettinad Health City, Tamil nadu.
- ‘Population distribution versus health comps attendance in dakshina kannada district karnataka’. Prathibha Kumari V, Socorrina Colaco, M.R.S.M. Pai, Department of Pharmacology Srinivas Institute of Medical Science & Research Centre at Southern Reginal conference of IPS on September 8th and 9th 2011 at Chettinad Health City, Tamil nadu.
- ‘Clinical Trials’ at National Seminar on Current Trends in Pharmaceutical Research at Srinivas college of Pharmacy , Vallachil, Mangalore on 21st January 2011.
- ‘Eugenia jambolana: Research bedside and bench at 4th Global Summit on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants at Kuching Sarawak, Malayasia on 1st -5th December 2009.
- Comparative study of student performances: MCQ vs. theory papers of Pharmacology examinations: with focus on gender differences’; 1Xth International Conference on Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Québec City, Canada, 2008.
- ‘Study of the actions of Selenium on thioacetamide induced Liver Injury in Male Wistar Rats’; International Congress on Frontiers in Pharmacology and Therapeutics New Delhi, India, 2000.
- ‘Topical Phenytoin in diabetic ulcers: a double blind controlled trial’; International Medical Congress, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 1996.
- ‘Acute Leukemia following Malignant Ependimoma’; Bombay Chapter of Hematologists, Bombay, 1982.
- ‘Study of 132 cases of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Prognostic Parameters’; All India Hematology Conference, Bombay, 1981.
- Have been co-author of approximately thirty (30) papers presented at the Annual Conference of the Indian Pharmacological Society since 1991 conducted at various cities in India. And at the Asian chapter of Psychiatry conducted at Bangkok, Thailand and Conference on HIV conducted at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. These papers include research work done by postgraduates and faculty under my guidance and supervision.
- Rajeshwari Shastry, MR PrabhaAdhikari, MRSM Pai ,SKotian, MN Chowta, Sheetal Dinakar Ullal. Comparison of clinical profile of geriatric and nongeriatric diabetic patients. International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries.2015; 35(3):201-205. Journal online publication since December 2014. (PubMed indexed )
- Seema Rai, Tara V Shanbhag, PrathibhaKumari V, M.R.S.M Pai.Evaluation of practice of self-medication among medical students in a teaching hospital. Journal of Scientific and Innovative Research 2015;4(5):197-199.
- Seema Rai, PrathibhaKumari V, Tara V Shanbhag, M.R.S.M.Pai. Evaluation of knowledge and attitude of adverse Drug reaction reporting among medical Undergraduate students in a tertiary care hospital. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2015 ;4(10):2085-2089.
- Seema Rai, Nishchal B S, Raghu M N, PrathibhaKumari V, Tara V Shanbhag, M.R.S.M.Pai. Gemifloxacin: anxiogenic activity in Wistar albino rats.World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2015 ;4(07):1870-1876.
- Manohar VR, Pai MRSM, Sabitha P, Pushpalatha, Rai Mohandas, Ullal Sheetal D. Hepatoprotective activity of Phyllanthus niruri in thioacetamide induced hepatotoxicity in male wistar rats. International journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2014;1.341-31.
- R Shastry , P Adhikari, Kamath A, M Chowta, S Ullal, MRSM Do geriatrics require dose titration for antidiabetic agents. J Postgrad Med 2013;59(4):271-274.
- G Shivaprakash, M.R.S.M.Pai, M. Nandini , M.K Reshma , D.A. Sahana , K Ragendran, A Shirwaikar, M.R. Adhikari Prabha, Jyothi Ganesh. Antioxidant potential of Eugenia jambolana seed; A Randomized clinical trial in type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Pharma and Bioscience 2011;2(2) B 220-b 228.
- Dipshankar C, Preethi G Pai, Vinod Nair, HN Gopalakrishna, Sheetal Ullal, Pai M.R.S.M. Diuretic activity of NR-ANX-C ( a polyherbal formulation) in normal rats. Journal of Pharmcy Research 2010; 3(5): 956-959.
- Pemminati Sudhakar, Gopalakrishna HN, Swathi B, Shreyasi C, Pai MRSM, Vinod Nair. Antianxiety effect of aqueous extract of fruits of Emblica officinalis on acute and chronic administration in rats.Journal of Pharmacy Research 2010;3(2): 219-223.
- Goplakrishna HN, Sudhakar P, Dorababu P, Pai MRSM, Colaco N, VineethaV. The effect of acute and chronic administration of the aqueous extract of Triphala on haloperidol induced catalepsy in mice. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2010; 4:2134-2138.
- Sudhakar Pemminati, Swathi B, Shreyasi C, Chandrasekhar R, Goplakrishna HN , Pai MRSM. Anxiolytic activity of ethanolic extract of leaves of Ocimum sanctumin rats. Drug Invention Today 2010;2(2):115-118.
- Sudhakar Pemminati, MR Prabha Adhikari, Rahul Pattiak, MRSM Pa Prevalence of metabolic syndrome (Mets) using IDF 2005 guidelines in a semi urban south Indian (Boloor Diabetes Study) population of Mangalore. J Assoc Physicians India 2010;58:674-677.
- Gopalakrishna HN, Rajeshwari Shastry, Sudhakar Pemminati, Ashok Shenoy K, Alwar MC, Rathnakar UP, Pai MRSM. A preliminary study on antidepressant activity of NR-ANX-C (a poly herbal product) in mice. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2010;3(3): 550-553.
- Sudhakar Pemminati , Goplakrishna HN Akshaya Alva, Pai MRSM, Seema Y, Vishnu Raj, Durga Pillai. Antidepressant activity of ethanolic extract of leaves of Ocimum sanctum in mice. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2010;3(3): 956-959.
- S Narendranath, GK Sudhakar, MRSM Pai, Hema Kini, Jerome Pinto .Safety and efficacy of oral potassium iodide in Chromoblastomycosis. Int J Dermatol 2010; 49:341-343.
- S Narendranath, S Ullal, Ramachandra Kamath, MRSM Pai, Raghavendra B, Surendra U Kamath, Amarnath Savur. Trends in nonsteroidal anti- inflammatory drug utilization in the orthopedic outpatient unit of a tertiary care hospital in india. Pharmacology online 2010; 1:375-381.
- Sudhakar Pemminati, Gopalakrishna HN, Swathi B, Shreyasi C, Raghavendra B, Preethi G Pai, Pai MRSM . Effect of tantu pashan on electrical and chemical induced seizures in mice. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2010;3(5):1178-1180.
- Rathnakar UP, Gopalakrishna HN, Pai PG, Ullal SD, Pemminati S, Pai MRSM, Shastry R, Shenoy A. Didactic Lectures and Interactive Sessions In Small Groups: A Comparative Study Among Undergraduate Students of Pharmacology in India. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2010;4(2):2260-2264.
- S Rajeshwari, P Adhikari, MRSM Pai, S Pemmaniti, Rathnakar UP, R Pathak . Serum Bicarbonate: Can It be A Marker of Metformin Induced Acidosis in Geriatrics? Nepal Med Coll J 2009;11(4):254-257.
- Pemminati Sudhakar, Prabha Adhikari, MRSM Pai, Rahul Pathak.Metabolic syndrome among inmates of a ‘home for aged’ using IDF 2005 criteria. Nepal Med Coll J 2009; 11(1): 31-33.
- S Pemminati, V Nair,P Dorababu, HN Gopalakrishna, MRSM Pai. Effect of aqueous fruit extract of Emblica officinalis on haloperidol induced catalepsy in albino mice. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2009; 3(4):1657-1662.
- Raghavendra B, Narendranath Sanji, Ullal SD, Kamath R, Pai MRSM , Kamath S, Savur. Prescription pattern of NSAIDs in an orthopaedic outpatient unit of a tertiary care hospital in South India. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic research 2009;3(1): 1553-1556.
- Rajeshwari S, Adhikari Prabha MR, Ramapuram john T, Rao Satish, Pai MRSM Amphotericin B for Cryptococcal meningitis in HIV positive patients: Low dose versus high dose. Indian J Crit Care Med 2007; 11: 112-116.
- Pemmanti S, Nair V, Dorababu P, Gopalakrishna HN, Pai MRSM. Effect of ethanolic leaf extract of Ocimum sanctum on haloperidol –induced catalepsy in albino mice. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2007; 39:87-89.
- Rajeshwari S,Adhikari Prabha MR, Pai MRSM. Drug utilization study in geriatric type 2 diabetic patients. Journal of clinical & diagnostic research (serial online): 2007; 1(5): 440-443.
- HN Gopalakrishna ,RB Sangha, N Misra, MRSM Pai. Antianxiety activity of NR-ANX-C, a polyherbal preparation in rats. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2006; 38: 330-335.
- Ullal SD, Shenoy KK , Pai MRSM , Chowta MN, Adiga SMN, Dinesh M, Kamath A, Kotian MS, Pai DK. Safety and efficacy of sanazole (AK 2123) in oropharyngeal cancers: randomized controlled double blind clinical trial. Indian J Cancer 2006; 43(4):151-155.
- Beena Susheel and Pai . HIV and Tuberculosis. Indian J Tuberc 2006; 53: 43-46.
- Susheel B, Pai MRSM. Diabetes and Tuberculosis. The Indian Practitioner 2005; 58(9): 561-564.
- Mirabel Pai, Ramesh Prabhu , Alfredo Panebra, Sarah Nangle, Haque, Frank Bastian, Robert Garry, Krishna Agrawal, Steve Good bourn, Srikanata Dash. Activation of Interferon-Stimulation Response Element in Huh-7 cells replicating Hepatits C virus sub genomic RNA. Intervirology 2005; 48(5): 301-311.
- SB Sridhar, UD Sheetal MRSM Pai, MS Shastri. Preclinical evaluation of the antidiabetic effect of Eugenia jambolana seed powder in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Braz J Med Biol Res 2005; 38(3): 463-468.
- Latha MS, Mirabel RSM Pai, and Pushpalaatha Pai. Thioacetamide Toxicity and the Lung: Histological Analysis. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2003; 47(4): 476.
- Beena S Rao KNS, Pai MRSM. Comparative evaluation of efficacy and safety profile of anti-tuberculous regimens in Mangalore. Ind J Med Sci 2002; 56: 315-320.
- Mohanda Rai, Mirabel RSM Pai,Panamboor Sabitha, Pushpalatha Pai. Hepatoprotective influence of selenium in experimental liver cirrhosis. The Kuwait Medical Journal 2001; 33: 333-336.
- MRSM Pai, N Sitaraman, MS Kotian, Topical phenytoin in diabetic ulcers: a double blind controlled trial. Ind J Med Sci 2001; 55:593-599.
- Prabha Adhikari, BM Hegde, Prathibha Pereira, Paravathi Bhat, N Chowta, Ramesh KV, Venkatadri TV, Mira M.Pai Evaluation of safety and efficacy of Azithromycin in Lower Respiratory tract infections. Ind J Med Sci 1996; 50: 313-317.
- G Kashinath, Mira Pai, K Ramachandran, P Bhat. Relationship between Serum Phenytoin and Creatinine levels in Grand Mal Epilepsy in Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry 1994; 9: 87-90.
- SH Advani, HG Ahuja, MRSM Pai, Tapan Saikia, R Gopal, CN Nair . Presepsis Prophylaxis and Empirical treatment of Febrile Patients with Neutropenia in Acute Leukemia in Journal Assoc Physicians India1986; 34(8): 559-562
- TK Saikia, HG Ahuja, R GOPAL, CN Nair, DM Kamat, MRSM Pai, SH Advani. Outcome of Aggressive Induction Therapy in Acute Non-Lymphocytic Leukemia in Journal Assoc Physicians India 1985; 33(3): 203-206.
- MRSM Pai, SH Advani , R Gopal, CN Nair, T Saikia, DM Kamat. Acute Leukemia following Malignant Ependymoma in Journal of Surgical Oncology1985; 29: 14
- TK Sailia, SH Advani, R Gopal, CN Nair, IM Chandwani, KS Nadkarni, DM Kamat, MRSM Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (Clinical Experience in 19 cases) in Indian Journal of Haematol 1983; 1: 60-67.
- Vinod Kochupillai, M Prabhu, NK Bhide. Cancer chemotherapy and Nail Loss (onychomadesis) in Acta Hematological 1983; 40: 137.
4. Details of appointment as external examiner and paper setter since 1987.
Examinations: MBBS; BDS, M.Sc. (Pharmacology), MD (Pharmacology).
Universities: Manipal University; Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences; MGR Health University, Tamil Nadu; NTR Health University, Andhra Pradesh; Calicut University; TrivandrumUniversity; University of Goa; Benares Hindu University; All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
5. Trainee Participant:
- Participant at the National Workshop on ‘Pharmacology curriculum planning for Undergraduates’ held at Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi in 1996.
- At the ‘XIIth National Workshop on Clinical Pharmacology’ at the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh held in February 1994.
6. Details of research grants: project titles; funding authorities; year.
- ‘Evaluation of the anti-oxidant effect of Eugenia jambolana seed powder in type2 Diabetes mellitus’ by Sadashiva Shastri Memorial Foundation, 2008-2009.
- ‘Clinical evaluation of the anti-diabetic Effect of Eugenia jambolana seed powder in type 2 Diabetes mellitus.’ by Sadashiva Shastri Memorial Foundation, 2005-2007.
- ‘A study of the effects of Selenium on Thioacetamide induced liver injury in male Wistar rats’ by Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology, 1998 – 1999
- ‘The protective effect of Selenium on Thioacetamide induced liver cirrhosis in male Wistar rats’ by Medispan Limited, 1997 – 1998
- *‘Double Blind Clinical Trial on the effects of topical application of Diphenyl Hydantoin in diabetic ulcers’ by Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology 1991 – 1992.
*‘Double Blind Clinical Trial on the effects of topical application of Diphenyl Hydantoin in diabetic ulcers’ by Health Foundation of New York 1992 – 1994.
7. Details of dissertations guided: – Topic; year.
- ‘Study on polymorphisms in the FABP2, APOCIII, PPAR GAMMA2 genes and their association with metabolic syndrome in type 2 diabetes mellitus. 2005, (Ph.D candidate).
- ‘Drug dose titration in geriatric patients: clinical signifance’, 2004, (Ph. D candidate).
- ‘Evaluation of antioxidant activity of Eugenia jambolana seed powder in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats’, 2008-2009, (MD student).
- ‘Antioxidant potential of Eugenia jambolana seed powder: clinical evaluation in type 2 diabetes mellitus’, 2006-2007, (MD candidate).
- ‘Clinical trial of seed powder of Eugenia jambolana in newly diagnosed cases of type 2 diabetes mellitus’, 2005-2006, (MD candidate).
- ‘Radiosentizing effect of Sansazole: Head and Neck Cancer’, 2000-2001, (MD candidate).
- ‘Hypoglycemic effect of Eugenia Jambolana’, 2000 -2001, (MD candidate).
- ‘Hepatoprotective effect of Phylanthus niruri’, 1998 – 1999, (MD candidate).
- ‘Study of selenium on thioacetamide induced liver injury in male Wistar rats’, 1998-1999, (MD candidate).
- ‘Protective effect of selenium on thioacetamide induced liver cirrhosis in male Wistar rats’, 1997-1998, (MD candidate).
- ‘Effect of topical phenytion sodium in diabetics’ ulcers’, 1991-1992, (Two MD candidates).
- ‘Relationship between serum phenytoin and creatinine levels in grand mal epilepsy’, 1991 – 1992. (MD candidate).
8. Member of the following:
- Ethics Committee, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore.
- Institutional Animals Ethics Committee, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore.
- Institution Research Advisory Board.
- South Asia Advisory Panel for Pharmacology
- Life member, Indian Medical Association.
- Life Member, Indian Pharmacological Society.
9. Co- Investigator:
For randomized double blind controlled clinical trials conducted in therapy of hypertension, bronchial asthma, inhalational insulin and monoclonal antibodies in head and neck cancer.
10. Areas of interest
- Undergraduate Postgraduate teaching of Pharmacology with a clinical bases.
- Medical literature writing of articles for publication in journals.
- Initiation and follow up of small research projects at postgraduate and possibly undergraduate levels.