Department of Microbiology provides a training programme that is one of the best in the field. Excellent diagnostic tests available in the hospital with a well-equipped laboratory provide accurate results in shortest time aiding in diagnosis. The hospital laboratory functions 24 hours round the clock, 7 days a week effectively. The department provides high-quality undergraduate training covering areas of Bacteriology, Virology, Parasitology, Mycology, Immunology and Molecular Biology under able faculties.
Facilities available –
- Two demonstration rooms and air conditions lecture theatres available help in conducting didactic lectures as well as small group teaching effectively.
- Well equipped student laboratories available helps to train undergraduate students in the field of microbiology stressing on clinical orientation.
- A well stacked department library housing latest books and journals helps the faculty to remain abreast of the latest developments in the evolving field of Microbiology.
- Departmental museum contains charts, mounted specimens and models of viruses for the benefit of students.
- Tests carried out in the laboratory include routine Serology, Bacteriology including T.B culture, Parasitology and mycology including fungal culture.
- Department is actively involved in hospital infection control, antibiotic policy, biomedical waste management and national programmes like RNTCP, ICTC (HIV).
Library cum Seminar room-
- of Books – 85
- of Journels – 6
- National and International – 8
List of Research Projects Undergoing
- Survey of vaginal-flora for Candida Species isolates from pregnant women attending routine antenatal clinic and monitoring the antibiogram of Candida albicans – Pavan Chand Attavar, Dr Sweetha.
- Occurance and characterisation of Uropathogenic Esch. coli in ICU patient – Dr. Rajeshwari.
- Co-relating MRSA strain by antibiogram & RFLP – Dr. Sweetha, Mrs.Rishmitha.
- Extended spectrum B – lactamases in urinary isolates of Escheria coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae – Prevalance and susceptibility pattern at SIMSRC (Teritary Hospital) – Vijaya, Mrs. Rishmitha
Any other CME’s/Conferences – CME conducted
CME & Hands on Training on PCR & RTPCR Techniques