Dr. P. S. Aithal*.
*Srinivas Institute of Management Studies, Pandeshwar, Mangalore – 575 001, INDIA,
The cycle of activities starting with planning of human resources, recruitment, performance
appraisal and professional development programmes, feedback and analysis all ensure that they are utilized to develop strategies to upgrade the professional competence of the staff through various mechanisms evolved. In higher education institutions efforts are continuously made to enhance the professional development of teaching and non teaching staff, through strategies for empowerment includes training, retraining and motivating the employees for the roles and responsibility they perform. It is necessary to have a performance appraisal system comprehensive enough to ensure that information on multiple activities is appropriately captured and considered for better appraisal. The outcome of the review of the performance appraisal is development of efficiency and transparency in fulfilling the aspirations of the stake holders and greater commitment to teaching-learning process. In this paper, we have identified various faculty empowerment strategies to be adopted for future quality improvement in higher education institutions in the light of a comprehensive performance management system based on 360º appraisal.
Keywords: Faculty empowerment strategy, Quality in higher education, 360º faculty appraisal.
1. Aithal P. S. & Suresh Kumar P. M., (2015) Quality in Higher Education – A Selfappraisal
Report of Srinivas Institute of Management Studies, Srinivas Publishers, India,
2014, ISBN No. 978-81-929306-0-5.
2. Harman, G. (1998) The management of quality assurance: A Review of International
Practice, Higher Education Quarterly, 52 (4), pp. 345-364.
3. Harvey, L. (1998) An assessment of past and current approaches to quality in higher
education, Australian Journal of Education, 42(3), pp. 237-255.
4. Mukhopadhyay, M. (2005) Total Quality Management in Education, 2nd Ed, New Delhi:
5. Paul D. Umbach, Matthew R. Wawrzynski, (2005) Faculty do Matter: The Role of
College Faculty in Student Learning and Engagement,Research in Higher Education,
Vol. 46, Issue 2, pp. 153-184.
6. Rogers, D.L., (2000) A Paradigm Shift: Technology Integration for Higher Education in
the New Millennium. AACE Journal, Charlottesville, VA: AACE, 1(13), pp. 19-33.
7. Sanjaya Mishra, (2007) Quality Assurance in Higher Education – An Introduction,
National Assessment and Accreditation Council, Bangalore, India & Commonwealth of
Learning, Vancouver, Canada, November 2007, ISBN No. 978-81-89842-07-9.